Several studies have shown the way you sleep could be aging you more than you think. Forget buying all of the expensive anti-aging creams – there are more practical, less expensive and longer-lasting ways you can prevent those wrinkles.
Award-winning Valley plastic surgeon Dr. Pablo Prichard is sharing several simple ways you can adjust your bedtime routine to steer clear from wrinkles:
Here are some of his tips:
- Sleep Position: Do you wake up looking puffy? That’s because lying down for a long period of time with your cheeks squished in a pillow causes fluid to pool in the face. Sleeping with your head elevated on your back can prevent these problems.
- Silk Sheets: The benefits of sleeping on silk sheets and pillows are numerous. The smooth texture prevents your facial skin from creasing and eliminates sleep wrinkles. It can also help keep hair from frizzing and reduces loss of natural oils and moisture in the body.
- Humidifier: Dry skin exacerbates the look of wrinkles. Apply face lotion each night and use humidifiers to raise moisture levels in your bedroom.
- Mattress: It’s no secret that getting a full night’s sleep helps you look younger. Consider investing in a high-quality mattress that offers you high-quality sleep. These days there are a variety of fancy mattresses for sale that adjust positions, track your quality of sleep, connect to your smartphone and more.
- Bedtime Routine: Washing your face with icy cold water does not do you any favors, and using scalding hot water can damage and dehydrate skin. Lukewarm water is best for most skin types. Of course, always remove all your makeup before bed to give your skin time to breath and recover from the toxins you’re exposed to during the day.