Tis the season for cocktail parties, holiday soirees and family gatherings! However, late nights and hectic schedules can easily wreak havoc on our skin, which may contribute to a case of the holiday blues. With friends and family constantly on their smart phones and social media sites, we already know holiday pictures will be plastered everywhere. Of course, many of us try to ensure our complexion is at its very best during December.
If you’re slightly stressing over the events that will take us into 2018, we’ve handled the skin issue by going straight to the experts. Our friends at Affiliated Dermatology with five locations throughout the Phoenix-area, have given us recommendations for holiday skin survival. Licensed Aesthetician, Rita Rayis, says “My patients seem to be looking for hydration and wanting to know how to get glowing skin.” Physician Assistant, Carmen Rayis, adds “Everyday we help people achieve their goal of eliminating that dry winter skin.”
Here are 5 holiday skincare tips from the professionals at Affiliated Dermatology:
- Gentle Facial Scrub and Hydrating Mask - As the weather starts to change, so does your skin. And there's no need to suffer from dry, flaky skin this winter. Carmen says, “By adding a gentle facial scrub and hydrating mask to your skincare regimen, you will keep your skin looking rejuvenated and fresh.”
- Microneedling - I recently had an opportunity to experience microneedling at Affiliated Dermatology, and I am completely obsessed. Basically, it’s a treatment to naturally restore younger skin, dramatically improve unsightly scars and get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. A specialized device is applied to the skin, creating thousands of micro-channels or holes that stimulate collagen production. This natural healing process begins instantly, resulting in new collagen and elastin. As the skin continues to heal, the results will continue to improve. They first apply a numbing cream to the treated area, so virtually no pain is endured through the treatment. (picture below.) Immediately following the appointment, I looked like I had a sunburn, but by day three I was receiving compliments on my facial glow! (second picture below.)
- Dermaplaning - It’s no wonder why dermaplaning is a favorite amongst Hollywood A-listers. It’s a method of exfoliation that consists of using a 10 gauge scalpel to gently scrape off the top layer of dulling dead skin cells in order to reveal a smoother, brighter complexion. (Don’t worry - it is painless!) It also eliminates that annoying peach fuzz that cakes up in makeup and can be enhanced by harsh production lighting and high-definition cameras. With practically no downtime, many patient’s undergo dermaplaning to prep for an upcoming holiday bash.
- Hydrating Treatment Masks - There is no better gift for your skin than amplified hydration. Rita especially likes using PCA Hydrate Oat Milk Mask and PCA Oxi Trio on patients, depending on their skin type and individual goals. These PCA masks provide immediate and intense hydration and help increase skin’s ability to retain moisture, crating softness and suppleness like never before.
- The Perfect Derma Peel - “If a patient is looking for more a dramatic difference in their skin before the holiday, I'm recommending the perfect derma peel two weeks before their holiday parties to give them glowing and brighter skin,” explains Rita. The Perfect Derma Peel combines powerful ingredients with effective acids to deliver outstanding results after one treatment. This unique formula allows for an increase in lifting of fine lines and wrinkles as well as reducing hyperpigmentation including Melasma. The Perfect Derma Peel is non-invasive with about 4 days of peeling.
Cheers to healthy skin!