6. You can paddle, peddle and more Taking a dip in the Pacific and walking barefoot in the sand are no-brainers (duh), but your navigation options don’t stop there. Wheel Fun Rentals has badass bikes for rent so you can cruise the oceanfront path or tackle the 10-mile San Luis Rey Bike Trail. If boats are more your jam, pick from pedal boats, paddleboards, powerboats and more at Oceanside Boat Rentals.
7. You will see animals There’s nothing like seeing animals in their natural habitat and Oceanside gives you plenty of close-ups. Spy a colony of sea lions holding court in the harbor, pelicans flying in V-formation, a pod of dolphins skimming by or the blowhole spray from a grey whale.
8. Parents and kids can agree on food Happy meals are when parents get real food (and drinks!) and kids have a chance to eat and explore. Enter Hello Betty Fish House, the perfect compromise of delish food (ceviche, tacos, fish and chips) and kid distractions. Heck, there’s a vintage dune buggy parked in the dining room. At Ty’s Burger House, fuel up with a class-act burger (they have grass-fed beef, buffalo and elk on the menu), crispy fries and hand-battered onion rings—no complaints! For brekkie, you can’t go wrong buttery croissants, quiche and perfect pastries at Petite Madeleine.
9. Sleep like a baby After an active day, there’s nothing like coming home to BeachFront Only Vacation Rentals (pictured). Spanning from cozy one-bedrooms on the beach all the way up to a 22-bedroom oceanfront complex with private spa, firepit and rooftop deck, expect all the comforts of home—and spectacular ocean views.
10. It’s close to all the cool stuff While some would argue the beach never gets old, you can hit your sand and sea quotient. For those times, there are plenty of nearby excuses to get in the car: Legoland, Coronado Island, San Diego Zoo Safari Park and Balboa Park to name a few.
To Learn More
For more information, go to www.visitoceanside.org.