For those of us familiar with the Arizona lifestyle, we know that desert living can't be beat. From the breathtaking landscapes to the friendly locals in every town and city, Arizona is a great place to live, no matter your age or interests. And in addition to the fun and beauty of this great state, living in the desert also provides significant advantages to health and quality of life.
Keep reading to discover all the great health benefits to be had from a desert lifestyle.
The Benefits of Sunshine
Those sunny Arizona days aren't just great for day trips and adventure. Indeed, while sunshine is definitely enjoyable, it can also make us healthier, both mentally and physically. All thanks to vitamin D, a fat-soluble vitamin found in natural sunlight, those gorgeous desert days can offer health advantages like the following:
- A stronger immune system. One reason more people get sick during the winter months could be a lack of the vitamin D found in sunlight. Vitamin D helps the body function more effectively, thus protects and enhances immunity.
- Reduced symptoms of depression. Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to depression, anxiety and seasonal affective disorder, or SAD. Thankfully, getting enough vitamin D can help keep these illnesses in check, and prevent a recurrence of symptoms.
- Stronger bones. Vitamin D plays a crucial role in the body's absorption of calcium. With sufficient sunlight, calcium is absorbed more effectively, and the bones and joints are stronger as a result.
- Better dental health. As with bones, vitamin D can help strengthen the teeth by boosting the body's absorption of calcium. Also, it's important to note that, when it comes to dental health, a strong relationship with your dentist is important. With companies like Solutionreach working to improve communication between doctors and patients, you can have a better experience, and enjoy better overall dental health.
- Lower blood pressure. Sunlight enhances circulation, and, in some patients, may be as effective as medication in reducing blood blood pressure.
- Healthier eyes. Sufficient levels of vitamin D are linked to lower instances of both cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Reduced stress. A warm, sunny climate can do wonders for stress levels. Add some vitamin D, and you're reducing stress, feeling happier and improving the quality of your sleep.
The Advantages of a Warm, Arid Climate
For some people, cold weather and humidity can be extremely dangerous. Thankfully, the dry dessert air can help in managing illnesses like the following:
- Asthma. Humidity can increase the risks associated with asthma attacks, as well as make attacks more severe in nature. Many people choose the desert climate for its effects on asthma and other lung diseases, and experience better breathing and fewer, less severe flareups.
- Arthritis. Rain, humidity and cold weather can have a major impact on illnesses like arthritis and osteoporosis; the desert climate, on the other hand, has been shown to reduce pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints, which can enhance mobility and overall quality of life.
- Heart disease. Not only is humidity unpleasant, but it can also increase the risk of heart attack, as well as worsen the effects of heart disease. The arid desert climate can reduce these risks, and, thanks to the relaxing effects of a desert lifestyle, may even improve the symptoms of cardiovascular disease.
Arizona is a gorgeous, exciting place to live. And with its sunny days and warm, dry climate, it can also enhance physical health, improve psychological well-being, and lend to a happier, healthier lifestyle.