It’s almost time for the Super Bowl gorge fest. I’m dreading it. I love the football action and half-time show… I don’t love how fat and bloated I feel after all the sinful snacking. And I’m not alone: It’s the second largest food consumption day of the year after Thanksgiving, according to the Calorie Control Council — and the average fan wolfs down almost a day’s worth of calories during the game.
Hail Mary: Rather than gorging on fat-filled junk with no nutritional value, try these three recipes from Maya Nahra, RD, a behavioral nutrition expert right here in Phoenix. She’s a registered dietitian, holistic nutritionist and founder of My Intentful Life, a company whose mission is to find a healthy middle ground between a life of ‘pizza & cake’ or ‘carrots & celery.’ Here are 7 layers, 3 ways that’’ll have your guests hooting and hollering… oh, and they’re healthy!
7 Layers, 3 Ways: Super Bowl Snacking
By Maya Nahra
*Classic 7 Layer Dip (pair it with: Whole Grain Blue Tortilla chips)
- 1 can black beans, low/no sodium, pureed with taco seasoning in a blender
- 3/4 cup organic sour cream, mixed with ranch dip herb mixture (see note)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons favorite fresh or homemade salsa
- 1-2 ripe avocados
- Juice of half a lime or lemon
- Shredded cheddar (monterey jack or pepper jack)
- Cherry tomatoes, diced
- Black olives, sliced
- 1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Spread the pureed black beans evenly over a serving platter. Layer sour cream mixture on top.
2. Slice avocados in half, remove pit, and scoop out flesh with a spoon. In a medium bowl add avocado, 2 tablespoons salsa and lime or lemon juice and mash together. Carefully spread over sour cream layer.
3. Top the avocado layer with the 1/2 cup salsa. Lastly, add a generous sprinkling of shredded cheese, followed by diced tomato and olives. Garnish with green onions.
4. Pair it with a blue corn tortilla chips and serve!
NOTE: Combine the following dried herbs to create a natural ranch dip:
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
*Greek 7 Layer Dip (pair with: Whole Grain Pita Chips)
- 1 1/2 cups hummus
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced and mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 handful mint, chopped
1. Assemble dip starting with the hummus and stacking each ingredient on top of the last.
2. Pair with a whole wheat pita chip and serve!
*Sweet 7 Layer Dip (pair it with: POPchips Sweet Potato flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup crushed pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup kiwi, peeled and diced
1. Melt the chocolate until just smooth. Add the chopped strawberries and set aside. Use the strawberry and chocolate as one layer combined.
2. Assemble dip starting with a layer of the vanilla Greek yogurt, ending with the kiwi fruit.
3. Pair it with a POPchips Sweet Potato flavor and serve!
To learn more
For more recipes: www.MayaNahra.com