5 cheers for Kassidi Jeppesen – she just ran the Phoenix Marathon, her 5th marathon to date. Yes, she’s a runner and also a spin instructor at Mountainside Fitness Gilbert and Ocotillo locations, but that’s not to say the Chandler gal only does cardio: “Some nights I’m craving a run and some mornings I wake up itching to lift weights, but I would say that cycle is my favorite and never gets old,” says Kassidi. The 29-year-old wife and mother of three didn’t just stumble into her fab physique; she follows these fit rules…
1. Always combine weight training with cardio. Just one or the other isn’t going to give you the best results.
2. Switch it up. Take a class once or twice a week if you’ve been spending a lot of time on the floor. You may learn a new thing or two. Also, learn how to lift out on the floor if you primarily take classes.
3. Hydrate and Recover. Drink water and a fast-absorbing protein shake (I like Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein) after your workout. Also, drink lots of water throughout the day and try to eat foods high in fiber and protein.
4. Stretch! Stretching will help keep your muscles loose and less prone to injury. Work on your flexibility and take a yoga class. They call it “practicing yoga” because we’re always learning and growing. So don’t be intimidated if you’re a newbie.
5. Enjoy what you do. I like to think of myself as an athlete. Therefore I look at my time at the gym as my sport. I choose exercises that are not only effective and challenging, but also fulfilling. I like to work out with friends and make them part of my “team” 😉
Photo credit: Natalie Crisp, Mesa, AZ