Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain has announced its new “Bar Brawl” mixology competition series. The competition launches this weekend, July 19, with match-ups of top local talent at the resort’s jade bar every Sunday through Aug. 16. Weekly winners will advance to semi-finals on Aug. 23 and Aug. 30, and the champion brawl will be held Sept. 13. Bar Brawl events will also include DJ entertainment and a new menu of “Bar Brawl Bites” at happy hour prices, starting at 8 p.m.
Each brawl kicks off at 8:30 p.m. and goes three rounds focused on a specific spirit, with the program emceed by Executive Chef Beau MacMillan and refereed by Sanctuary’s lead mixologist, Eddie Aces. Resulting cocktails are judged by a panel of local celebrities, and the winner of two rounds on any given night will move to the semi-finals. The overall winner will receive a Las Vegas getaway.
The Bar Brawl line-up:
• July 19 – Vodka – Keifer Gilbert of Counter Intuitive vs. Andrew Calisterio of Crudo
• July 26 – Gin – Stephanie Teslar of Blue Hound Kitchen vs. Michael Liberatore of Citizen Public House
• Aug. 9 – Bourbon – Clint Spotleson of Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel vs. Tony Pharias of Tarbell’s
• Aug. 16 – Rum – Kyle Mason of Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia vs. Alexa Bowler of Olive & Ivy
• Aug. 23 – Semi-finals
• Aug. 30 – Semi-finals
• Sept. 13 – Championship: Bar Brawl “Bar Master” crowned.
With Thanksgiving and Christmas on the horizon, this time of year can be especially trying for families in…
In honor of International Women's Day, David Kearns, Maker’s Mark Diplomat, discusses Margie Samuels, who along with her husband Bill Samuels Sr., created the beloved bourbon in the 1950's.