I don’t know about you, but my memory is getting worse… and worse. Not sure if it’s too many to-do lists floating around in my head, or if my brain is actually starting to show the signs of aging… but what really freaks me out is that Alzheimer’s is on the rise, striking someone new every 72 seconds. Yikes! So I’ve started loading up on foods linked to improved memory and brainpower:
1. Get your leafy greens – Kale, collards and Swiss chard are an excellent source of folate, which can reduce your risk of memory loss.
2. Binge on blueberries – A natural compound found in blueberries, grapes and tea can enhance memory, especially when combined with exercise.
3. Get your fiber fill – Research shows a link between a high-fiber diet (think whole grains, fruits and vegetables) and improved cognition.
4. Eat eggs – Choline is the magic memory ingredient in eggs, which your body uses to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Low levels of acetylcholine are associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Yogurt to the rescue – Yogurt contains the amino acid tyrosine which studies show can improve alertness and memory.
6. Don’t forget fish – Keep your brain well oiled with fish oil. Studies show that the omega-3 fatty acids in fish can help stave off dementia.
7. Go Mediterranean – According to one study, people who followed a Mediterranean-style diet of vegetables, legumes, fruits, cereals and fish were 40 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer’s.
8. A Brazil nut a day – Brazil nuts are high in magnesium and selenium, two minerals that nourish your neurotransmitters.
9. Eat anchovies and sardines – Both contain DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol), a chemical found in the brain that enhances cognitive function and improves long- and short-term memory.