It wasn’t until I graduated college and landed my first job in the corporate world that I truly understood why America’s obesity level is on the up rise. I mean we wake up, sit in our car as we drive to work, sit at our desk for at least eight hours staring at a computer screen (excluding our lunch break when we load up on calories), drive home, eat some more, and then sit in front of the television because our brains need not to think anymore. Then we go to sleep and the whole process starts all over again. Technology, although an amazing perk for living in this generation, has made life much easier; maybe a little too easy.
And yes, some may go to the gym before or after work to beat the system, but for most of us trying to make a living, we just can’t seem to find the time or energy. So before we end up like the humans in Wall-E, let’s make a few simple changes in our daily regime that can boost our health and help put an end to our society’s sedentary lifestyle!
11 Ways to Sneak Exercises in Your Daily Life
- Ride your bike to work on casual Fridays. It’s Friday, the end of the work week and a day when you can dress down. So hop on the bike instead of the car and ride to work!
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Another way technology is killing us; literally. This simple change can make a huge difference, and can even tighten up those glutes!
- Park further away from your destination. Ya that front row spot looks so tempting and sometimes you just want to beat your coworkers to it, but choose the back row and take a short walk into the office or wherever you are going.
- Grab a smoothie and go for a walk on your lunch hour. It’s most likely a beautiful day in the Valley, so enjoy it and grab a portable smoothie and take a stroll around the park.
- Deliver a message in person. Emailing has become so convenient. You hardly even have to hear your boss’ voice anymore. But on occasion, get up out of your chair and use those god given vocal chords.
- Do something active while watching TV. You can still enjoy the all-new episode of American Idol, but maybe on a commercial break do some jumping jacks, sit-ups or push-ups.
- Walk around while on a phone conversation. Stretch those legs and pace around the office while your talking to a co-worker or client.
- Walk instead of drive whenever possible. Yes the Valley can be a little spread out, but if you need to go somewhere that’s a mile or less away, use your feet instead of the vehicle.
- Hand wash your car. Save some cash and a trip to the gym and wash the car at home. This is a great abs and arms work-out.
- Walk the dog. Instead of watching your dog play at the park, break out the leash and take your furry-friend on a long walk.
- Plan active dates with your loved one. Some of the best dates are ones that are active and interactive. So skip the fattening restaurant and try hiking Camelback together.