By Chef William Turner
Whip up this sweet Lavender Vanilla French Toast recipe topped with Peanut Butter Bananas Foster.
I call this the “Kings French Toast” as I developed this recipe to pay homage to Elvis Presley, who was known for his love of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I’m sure he would have loved this dish as much as you will.
Ingredients for French Toast
- 1 loaf brioche bread, whole if possible
- 4 cups of half and half
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar, lavender infused (optional)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1-2 drops vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Banana Topping
- 3 whole bananas
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 oz captain morgan’s rum
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Fresh berries and powdered for garnish
- Start with the French toast by slicing brioche loaf into eight thick slices.
- Prepare the custard mix in a large bowl or casserole dish by combining half-and-half, eggs, sugar, vanilla and spices. Whisk well and set aside while you prep for the bananas foster and peanut butter topping.
- Melt butter in a large pan, adding brown sugar on a medium low heat. Once incorporated well, add the spices and rum. Flame up is possible depending on the heat, so be careful especially over an open flame. I suggest removing from heat while pouring rum, add bananas and sauté for 1 minute, being careful not to break bananas.
- Stir in the peanut butter and remove from heat.
- Drench bread in custard mix and place slices on a hot-oiled griddle or large frying pan. The pan should be at a medium heat. If it’s too hot it will burn. Flip after 2-3 minutes and the toast should be golden brown. After 2 more minutes remove and repeat the process with remaining bread.
- Plate French toast and spoon banana mixture over as desired. Garnish with berries and powdered sugar and serve immediately. French toast fit for a king!
Whether it’s a celebrity dinner, bachelorette party or corporate event, Chef William Turner has made a name for himself as the Valley’s go-to private chef. Learn more at www.chefwilliamturner.com.