Seafood and summertime go hand in hand, but choosing the best seafood can be tricky. What should it look like? Where should it be purchased? Here are some helpful tips from Chef Admir Alibasic from Ben and Jack’s Steakhouse in Scottsdale to use when shopping for seafood this season, plus a tempting seafood recipe for your summer cookouts.
* Do not buy fish if it doesn’t smell like the ocean or clean water. Fresh fish should not smell fishy.
* Gills should be bright red color.
* The eyes must be clear and not a gray cloudy color.
* If you decide to buy more fish than you need for the day, make sure to wrap it and place in the freezer to maintain freshness. When ready to thaw, place under cold running water.
* Buying frozen fish can be tricky. Your best bet is to purchase fresh fish from a reliable source.
Ben & Jack’s Salad
1 beefsteak tomato, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 jumbo shrimp, cooked and chopped
2 slices Ben & Jack’s Canadian bacon
Toss together the chopped tomatoes and onions in a bowl, then plate. Next, add the cooked/chopped shrimp on top of the tomato and onion mixture. After, cook the Canadian bacon in a skillet or grill until sizzling on both sides. Chop the cooked bacon into bites and add on top of the shrimp. Garnish with parsley.
Get to know Executive Chef Omei Eaglerider (also known as Chef O) of Fry’s Signature Marketplace Cooking School.…