Start Your Day off with Lemon and H20.
What’s the 1st thing you do after waking? Do you hit the snooze button? Start a pot of coffee? Check emails? I suggest not only don’t hit the snooze button (will address this in another blog), but grab a glass of good ol’ H2O and add a slice of lemon. Drinking water (especially warm water and lemon with a dash of sea salt) has a number of great benefits. Here are just some of them.
- It’s fast, easy and cheap. ‘Nuff said.
- Lemons help your immune system. They are a good source of vitamin C and potassium.
- pH levels. Because lemons are a high alkaline food, they can help balance your pH levels. Balanced levels=less inflammation and less risk of illness.
- Make it warm and it will help even more. Warm water helps with digestion by stimulating your gastrointestinal tract.
- The sea salt helps replace sodium that you may lose while sleeping and can help with dehydration.
Not only will you get all the benefits listed above, by starting your day with water (warm or not) and lemon is an easy goal to set and achieve, thus starting your day already with the sense of accomplishment. In addition, drinking the water and lemon is a great way to help you increase your daily water intake. I suggest you drink at least .8 oz per lb you weigh. If you really want to step up your game with helping your immune system and decreasing your chance of dehydration have the water and lemon at night as well.
Scott Keppel is the owner of Scott’s Training Systems, a world-class coaching facility in Chandler, Arizona. He is a nationally certified trainer through NASM and ISSA. His mission is to empower women of all ages and fitness levels. For more information head to scottstrainingsystems.com or check him out on Instagram at @stsnation.