At some time or another, you’ve heard that green tea is good for you. You may have even heard that it can help you lose weight. Whether you believe it or not, I’m here to tell you: IT WORKS!
For the past couple of months and for no experimental purposes, I have been going green. No I haven’t been an eco-friendly advocate, I have been spending my every morning with a warm cup of green tea. It’s the first thing I do when I get up and I am now an ADDICT.
I used to head to my local Starbucks for every female’s rendition of a cup of Joe–the Skinny Vanilla Latte. But on top of it taking a serious dent in my bank account, me and high amounts of caffeine did not mix. I felt even more tired than I was before the cup, had horrible headaches, anxiety and was constantly dehydrated.
After kicking that bad habit, I soon realized it wasn’t the coffee taste that I loved, it was simply the comfort of sipping on something warm on those chilly mornings. So I switched to green tea and it turns out that its minimal amount of caffeine gives me that little morning boost that won’t send me crashing an hour later.
Okay, let’s get to the part you’ve been waiting to hear… Yes for the past two months I have made my lifestyle much healthier (we’ll get into that next) by adding a cup of green tea to my morning regime, but I have an unhealthy confession. I have not been very good about incorporating exercise into that regime either. But this is how I know my green cup is working its magic… I’ve lost weight and body fat!
This green tea benefit alone is enough to ditch those lattes, ladies! But there are many more benefits to my new found secret…
7 Green Tea Benefits:
- Green tea has an active ingredient in it called EGCG, which speeds up your body’s fat burning (AKA it’s a fat burning miracle), according to Shine from Yahoo!.
- Ladies with bikini season on the brains, you are going to love this one! Green tea actually targets burning belly fat. “Research at Tufts University indicates that EGCG in green tea, like other catechins, activate fat-burning genes in the abdomen to speed weight loss by 77 percent,” according to Shine from Yahoo!.
- No more highs and lows. The miracle worker balances your blood sugar levels to keep your energy stable. “EGCG improves insulin use in the body to prevent blood sugar spikes and crashes that can result in fatigue, irritability and cravings for unhealthy foods,” according to Shine from Yahoo!.
- Ever wonder why Asians have such perfect skin? Well, look at what they’re drinking. Green tea is known to be a wrinkle fighter. “EGCG appears to be 200 times more powerful than vitamin E at destroying skin-damaging free radicals. Free radicals react with healthy cells in the body, causing damage, so lessening their numbers may help reduce wrinkling and other signs of aging,” according to Shine from Yahoo!.
- Green tea contains antioxidants which eliminate free radicals. “Free radicals are increasingly linked to many serious chronic illnesses like arthritis, diabetes and cancer,” according to Shine from Yahoo!.
- Green tea gives you a pretty smile. You’ll be all smiles after adding a cup of this goodness, and not because you feel better and because you dropped some lbs. Tea contains fluoride and tannins.
- When cold weather is amidst, we run for the hot cups. But coffee drinkers aren’t exactly helping themselves fight off the sicknesses that come with winter weather. Green tea drinkers, on the other hand, are, as it may help boost your immune system. According to iVillage, “when 21 volunteers drank either five cups of tea or coffee each day for four weeks, researchers saw higher immune system activity in the blood of the tea drinkers.”