Four Tips To Keep You Fit This Summer

aaa Fit moms-83

Photo: Scott Whitney

Summer is always filled with travel, food, family, friends, fun and for many a little bit of downtime. All of these things can add up to unwanted pounds; however, incorporating a few of the tips below you can help you stay on track.

Plan Ahead

Think about it. When we have things coming up we want to do we typically budget to be able to afford them, correct? Same goes with food. Planning ahead can help you budget your food properly so that you can indulge some while still staying committed to your goals. Before heading to a party or taking that trip you have been looking forward to, think about what you might eat. If you really want to indulge, plan to do that 20% of the time and have a strategy in place as to how you are going to eat healthy the other 80% of the time. Here are some strategies that work well for many.

  • Pick either dessert or a cocktail, not both in one sitting.
  • Eat a healthy snack before heading out to dinner or a party so you are not over hungry.
  • Pack your food on road trips and stop at a rest stop to have a picnic rather than hitting the fast food restaurants.
  • Always drink enough water to avoid mistaking hunger for thirst.
  • Don’t be afraid to make specific requests when you go out to eat, such as dressing on the side or grilling rather than frying foods.

Make Exercise Fun

It’s easy to get into a mindset of thinking exercise has to be in a gym but there are so many other ways to burn unwanted calories and stay active. Make exercise fun by finding activities you enjoy doing and sign up for a lesson, class or plan an excursion on your vacation. Try things like tennis, swimming, hiking in a beautiful new location, taking a walking tour, trying yoga on the beach or bicycling in a new city. Or, when traveling with kids make it a point to stay active and moving while they are playing. Employ the idea of “anywhere exercise” meaning there is always an opportunity to move your body in healthy ways. Get creative and think outside the box. Want a fun game you can play to get the entire family moving, try this workout.

Incorporate Isometric Exercises

Isometric exercise or isometrics are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction. Things such as planks and wall sits are excellent isometric exercises and can be done anywhere. Remember when doing isometric exercises to try and hold them for at least 30 seconds per round. Complete 3-5 rounds at a time. Set a daily challenge and post a calendar on the wall to keep track of your progress. You will quickly build strength by staying committed to your goal.

Buddy Up

Fitness is always more fun with friends. Seek out a person or a group to help keep you motivated. Accountability is paramount to reaching goals and a group is likely to aid you in staying focused. On days that you don’t want to show up, an accountability group will provide that added push you need to get it done. If you are in search of a group to join, check out which offers a wide variety of meetup groups to suit every need.

Shannon Dougherty & Kim MillerCo-Owners · Fit Mom Diet-1

Follow Shannon & Kim on Instagram

Visit their Website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts