Forget the nachos and chicken wings. Make this year’s Super Bowl fare a bit more sophisticated with his sliders recipe by Executive Chef Beau MacMillan from Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale.
Ham and Jam Sliders
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. baking soda
• 1 Tbs. freshly cracked black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
• 2 tsp. salt
• 1 cup + 2 Tbs. buttermilk
• 5 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
• 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
• ¼ cup chopped green onion, including tender green tops
• Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper and kosher salt until well mixed.
• Mix in butter until pea sized. Add cheddar cheese and green onion and stir and toss lightly to combine.
• Stir in 1 cup buttermilk until the mixture forms a soft, slightly sticky ball.
• With lightly floured hands, divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Form each portion into a rough ball and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Space the balls about 1-inch apart. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
• Bake at 350˚F for 15 to 18 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
Red Pepper Jelly
Yields 2 1/8 quart
• 3 large red peppers, seeded and sliced
• 3/4 cups cider vinegar
• 3 cups sugar
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 package Certo liquid pectin
• Place peppers in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped, but not pureed.
• Place chopped peppers in a large bowl with cider vinegar, sugar, salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix well.
• Put mixture in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add Certo and continue to cook at a slow rolling boil for 35 to 40 minutes, until you can “drag” a spoon around edges of pan or until it passes the jelly test coating the back of the spoon or dripping from spoon very slowly.
Snake River Farms American Bone in Ham
• 1 large Snake River Farms American Bone-in Ham
• Heat oven to 275˚F. Place ham in a roasting pan and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Heat for approximately for 12-15 min. per pound. When center of ham reaches 125˚F allow the ham to rest for 15-30 min. Keep covered with foil while resting.
• Slice biscuits in half and rub with a generous portion of red pepper jelly. Slice ham thinly and place in between biscuit halves. Enjoy!