We all know that obesity is a health problem that affects many, many Americans, including children. However, did you ever think about how being obese can affect Fido and Fluffy? According to the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, an estimated 54 percent of dogs and cats in the United States are overweight or obese (meaning an estimated 93 million US dogs and cats are overweight or obese). Just as with human obesity, pet obesity can trigger health conditions that include painful joints, high blood pressure, heart and respiratory disease, damaged ligaments, kidney disease and many types of cancer. To help combat pet obesity, Lucia Schnitzer, owner Luci’s Healthy Marketplace (which sells a variety of organic and healthy dog food and treats) provided five tips for preventing pet obesity as well as a few of her favorite healthful pet products.
How to prevent pet obesity:
1) Overfeeding is the most common mistake. Healthy dogs and cats do not necessarily need to eat every day.
2) Have a definite feeding schedule. Do not feed your pet frequently. Feed them about three times a day with enough quantities of food. Do not feed before exercise.
3) Physical exercise. Have a regular schedule to take your dog out for a walk or run. It will help prevent diseases for both you and your dog with daily workouts.
4) Provide quality food and water. Serve them natural raw food such as meat, vegetables and fruit. The raw food diet attempts to mimic the eating preferences of dogs before they were domesticated.
5) Increase water and fiber intake. This will help increase their metabolism and help with their digest system.
Pet owners can also ensure healthy, happy pets by giving their pets the most nutritional products. Here are a few of Lucia’s favorite pet products, available at Luci’s Healthy Marketplace:
1) Alkaline water (alkaline water can replenish essential minerals, stabilize and protect cells, help to maintain normal blood flow, flush out and prevent wastes from accumulating in cells, prevent free radicals from forming and damaging other cells)
2) Castor & Pollux dog food and treats (a brand of natural and organic dog food that uses quality protein in its products)
3) Natural stress spray by Rescue Remedy (Rescue Remedy Pet can be used for an immediate calming effect in any stressful situation or when a pet needs help overcoming a variety of emotional or behavioral problems)
4) Peanut butter/almond butter
Luci’s Healthy Marketplace, 1590 East Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix, 602.773.1329, http://www.lucishealthymarketplace.com/.