Easter is almost upon us, which means Good Friday is also approaching on March 30. This date marks the last Friday of Lent for the Catholic population to avoid eating meat. The restaurants below offer delicious, meat-free dishes that make for the perfect meal on Good Friday and beyond.
- Oregano’s Pizza Bistro– Obviously, good pizza is a win all day every day. But another key dish at Oregano’s on Good Friday is the El Diablo Shrimp Pasta (pictured). This bowl of spicy goodness includes a half-pound of large, tail-on shrimp, tossed in a special chipotle cream sauce, then mixed with fettuccine pasta, Cotija cheese, and fresh pico de gallo.
- The Henry– This local Phoenix neighborhood gem offers two impeccable dishes that will certainly do the trick on Good Friday. The first is the Tuna Poke Bowl served atop sticky rice, sliced avocado, pickled cucumber, roasted shiitake mushrooms, green onions, and a delightful ponzu sauce. Another option is the Skuna Bay Salmon, which is prepared tender and delicious, with fresh lemon glazed beets, arugula, and a toasted almond quinoa.
- Taco Guild– This is the place to be for patrons who want to feel like they’re actually dining inside of a Catholic church. With high-beam ceilings, crosses and stained glass windows, along with plenty of meatless options, the Taco Guild could be the new go-to during Fridays in Lent. Opt for the Tropical Ono tacos with Menonita cheese, roasted-tomato salsa, coconut slaw, mango, tomato and cilantro, or the Yucatan Shrimp taco filled with green cabbage, slaw and avocado for incredible meatless fare.
- The Breadfruit & Rum Bar– A little Caribbean flair on a Friday night is never a bad thing. Check out the Breadfruit & Rum Bar on Good Friday for a plethora of seafood options. One of the best is the Pan-Seared Steelhead Salmon, which is prepared with jerk seasoning, lightly seared with a honey balsamic reduction, tamarind & passion fruit sauce, served alongside roasted farm-fresh veggies. Those a bit more adventurous may be enticed by the Red Stripe Curried Mangrove Shrimp simmered in a Red Stripe Beer sauce, Caribbean style curry, rice and peas, roasted cabbage, red bell peppers and tropical plantains.
- Kneaders Bakery & Cafe– Those looking for something a bit faster and more casual than the restaurants above can swing by any of the 14 Valley-wide locations of Kneaders Bakery & Cafe to grab a delicious meat-free sandwich, salad or soup on Good Friday. Fan favorites include the Famous Albacore tuna mixed with dill, red onions, celery, salt and pepper, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and lettuce, placed on freshly baked hazelnut 12 grain bread. Another delightful option is the Green Avocado Salad, prepared with spring mix, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, avocado, salt and pepper, served with creamy ranch dressing on the side and a fresh roll. Pair either option with the best San Marzano Tomato Basil soup in town for a tasty, meat-free meal and be sure to save room for some homemade pie. –Lisa Cardinale