Though it might seem contradictory to put oil on your face, the right type of beauty oils will leave your skin, hair and nails healthy and glowing.
What often comes to mind when one thinks of facial oils is sebum; the oil your skin produces as a natural moisturizer that can sometimes overproduce and cause nasty breakouts, not to mention unwanted shine.
In fact, the right type of facial oil is far from oily and should absorb quickly into the skin and not leave behind a greasy residue.
Celebs like Emma Stone and Christy Turlington have cited the benefits of beauty and facial oils, which work to prevent long-term skin damage and pesky breakouts, while injecting your skin with healthy fats for a radiant glow.
Beauty Brands offers a variety of luxurious, lightweight, fast-absorbing beauty oils that can be used for everything from cleansing the face to infusing the hair with silky shine.
Below are tips from the beauty experts at Beauty Brands, which demonstrate how to select products according to your unique skin or hair type, as well as different ways to reap their rewards:
Using an “oil” as a cleanser rather than a gel or a cream might seem counterintuitive, but nothing can melt away makeup, dead skin cells and debris more effectively without stripping skin of its natural moisture content.
• Start with just a drop or two! Some to try: Murad Renewing Cleansing Oil ($32), Philosophy Purity Cleansing Oil ($25) or Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse ($38).
• Oils like Anthony Logistics For Men Pre-Shave Oil are also excellent for getting a close, smooth shave without skin irritation ($22).
The best oils for hair absorb quickly and don’t sit on the hair shaft, meaning hair is nourished but never weighed down or greasy.
• For high shine, Beauty Brands recommends Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine ($27.98), for velvety smoothness, Mizani Supreme Oil ($25.98) and for dry, damaged locks, Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment ($13.98 – $39.98).
Cuticle oils hydrate and revitalize nails and there are new ones on the market worth testing for your next manicure or pedicure.
• CND SolarOil is formulated to reduce the visible signs of aging (hands are just as revealing about this as faces!) and to protect nail color from fading ($2.49 – $10.95).
• Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil lavishes cuticles with much needed moisture ($8.50).