This time of year as we edge into fall I am flooded with queries as to how one can rid themselves of dark patches and pigmentation that they have acquired over the long, hot summer. Sadly, girlfriends (and guy-friends) in your 20’s you play and in your 40’s you pay – that means cashing it out in the form of sun damage, pigmentation and brown spots So, if you ‘re yearning for your formerly speckle- free self, there is no magic wand- this is not a mission for the commitment phobe, it will take a bit of work! No doubt you can find some hot- handed aestheticians out there who will be more than happy to burn the brown right off of your otherwise lily- like skin…but (speaking from 20 plus yrs of experience of course! )that’s just not how I like to roll… In this ongoing battle slow, steady AND safe wins the race… and truly maybe I just don’t find peeling snaky skin all that glamorous!
Pigmentation can be caused by a variety of factors, heredity, sun damage, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, internal heat, endocrine imbalance and select oral antibiotics. If melasma or “piggies” plague you try some of these remedies:
1) Your first line of defense is a full spectrum sunscreen, (remember sunscreen is one of the must- do steps in preventing pigmentations evil cousin- Mr. Wrinkles) Block those rays like a linebacker before they get deep into the dermis.
2) Topical Lightening creams containing hydroquinone, kojic acid or vitamin C can work wonders at home when used religiously (there’s that commitment part again)
3) Chemical peels are one of the most popular remedies especially those containing, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid and various fruit extracts and on the plus side- you get all the line minimizing, pore perfecting luscious benefits that bring back that youthful- you clarity
4) Photo Rejuvenation LED Light therapy has a proven track record in treating melasma with no downtime like other light therapies. This non-ablative rejuvenation stimulates new collagen and dermal extra-cellular matrix, which means it visibly improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and hyper pigmentation without damage to the overlying epidermis. It’s an effective and relaxing alternative to the rubber band snapping ouchness of other treatments. Of course at- home devices such as the Tanda light therapy or ANSR light therapy (both use blue lights to kill bacteria and red light to healand rejuvenate) are the hottest skin saving invention since the Clarisonic!
5) Of course if you are a glutton for punishment or have a sky- high pain tolerance you can try an IPL photo facial from your derm or plastic surgeon, one of the most popular yet expensive treatment ( average $300-$500 per) this snappy little zapper literally toasts those spotty spots on contact and encourages new collagen production that will reveal a more even complexion within weeks. After a series of 3-5 most people see a marked improvement!