So last week I gave you some nifty gift ideas for your man this Valentine’s Day, but it’s sometimes nice to give the women in your life something beautiful on this <3 day (especially if they are single this year). And what girl doesn’t love gorgeous, colorful flowers to sit in their house, on their work desk or by their bed? But this year, don’t just give flowers, give flowers that give back!
But first, let me share some interesting V-Day statistics…
Did you know that…
- LifeStyles Condoms estimates that 87 condoms are used each second in the U.S. on Valentine’s Day, which also shares the day with the lesser known holiday, National Condom Day.
- The US Census Bureau reports that only 11 percent of households celebrate by gifting each other jewelry on Valentine’s.
- According to the Hallmark Corporation, nearly 200 million cards are exchanged each year on February 14, and that doesn’t include Vday card packs exchanged by millions of schoolchildren each year.
- The National Retail Federation reports that men spend nearly twice the amount women spend on the holiday
- And Organic Bouquet (www.OrganicBouquet.com) estimates that more than 200 million roses were produced for Valentine’s Day 2011.
Back to flower shopping… This year, choose Organic Bouquet, a mission-based company that focuses on environmental, social and economic sustainability. It’s also now the largest online provider of eco-friendly and organic gifts, and each purchase helps to improve the life of a flower farm worker, their family and the local floral community. Organic Bouquet provides workers in underdeveloped countries everything from zero-interest loans, childcare, healthcare, education, environmental protection, supplies and more.
Below please find a few Valentine’s Gift Guide options, from the world’s tallest roses to charity flowers for your sweetheart. Not into buying a gal flowers? That’s okay! Organic Bouquet also sells recycled handbags and clutches, as well as unique recycled silver jewelry and other eco-friendly gifts!
- Extraordinary Roses – up to 6 feet tall ($89.95-$279.95)
- 144 Assorted Roses ($131.51)
- Flowers for Good – Global Fund for Women Roses ($69.95)
- 3, 6 or 12 month Bouquet Club (starting at $41.66 per month)
Organic Bouquet flowers are organically grown and have been certified by third-party agencies, such as USDA, Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance. They are also a carbon neutral company, partnered with CarbonFund.org in a carbon offset program supporting re-forestation projects in Guatemala.