Finger lickin’ good BBQ po’ boys, the melty Cheesy Mac and Rib, Koolickles (pickles soaked in Kool-Aid), authentic blood orange creamsicle Italian ice – just a few of the dishes offered at The Westin Kierland’s Food Truck Fridays. The event, which ran through the summer, invited families to come out for the evening donned in their summer swimwear to enjoy an evening poolside party and enjoy food that would make any foodie fawn.
A little about the resort:
Don’t let the opulent lobby of the Westin Kierland fool you into thinking it’s not family-friendly. The resort prides itself on one-of-a-kind experiences for kids and adults alike. Mom and Dad want to have a leisurely lunch and massage during the day or romantic dinner at night? Enter the “FUN Team,” who will whisk away the little ones for merry adventures and activities including arts & crafts, pool time, LEGO building contests, princess parties or to surfing/bodyboarding lessons on the FlowRider.
A little about FlowRider:
The Westin Kierland is stoked to offer the FlowRider – a water adventure teaching kids of all ages (that means you too, dad) how to wakeboard/surf. Unique to the Westin Kierland, the FlowRider experience opened in October 2012 and is gaining interest of people across the globe. Ask to meet the coolest dude on the property when visiting – Flow Master Steve – and give him a hang loose. FlowRider runs all year (heated in the winter). Price for an hour lesson is $20-$30 (with a one-time registration fee of $15).
A little about the food trucks:
Four trucks closed out the popular summertime event. The term, food baby (which was recently added to the Oxford dictionary), might describe your satisfied tummy after eating their savory dishes. Highlights:
- The “taste rite!” truck packs a punch with award winning BBQ po’boy sandwiches. Try the ‘Old School’ hot link sausage, or Spartacus big beef pot roast po’boy with atomic horseradish. Chef and Owner Darryl King has been cooking up multicultural-inspired cuisine for 13 years with Riteway Catering. Try the Koolickles here. Delightful!
- The Grilled Cheese Truck was voted one of “L.A.’s 15 Best Food Trucks” by The Daily Meal. Fortunately for us, CEO Dave Danhi expanded and gave the Valley two more trucks to cook up sandwiches oozing with cheesy goodness. The go-to that started it all is the Cheesy Mac & Rib, stuffed with sharp cheddar, house-smoked barbeque pork, southern macaroni and cheese and caramelized onions on buttery French bread, explains Chef Theresa, who is genuinely enthusiastic about the creations. This is comfort food at its best. The Brie Melt, Buffalo Chicken Melt and S’more Melt are among the rich and famous. You just can’t resist the cheese.
- LuLu’s Homemade Italian Ice is prepared fresh daily by Chef Joe Natale. While the cart isn’t motorized, it is just as big in flavor as any running food truck. The wonderfully smooth texture of this 100 percent natural, dairy-free, fat-free, gluten-free, cholesterol-free, vegan Italian ice makes you go “Ahhh…” Chef Natale is passionate about his creations: pure mango, blood orange creamsicle, pure coconut and pineapple lemongrass (infused with essential oils), to name a few. Look for LuLu’s at farmer’s markets from the Valley to Flagstaff. Visit their websites to see where they roll each week.
Other FUN family events not to be missed:
- Kierland Kampfires: Roast s’mores over an open fire pit under the vast Arizona night sky.
- OK Corral: A shady spot peppered with FUN activities like lawn chess, game tables, tricycle tracks and a basketball court. The FUN team hosts water balloon games, relay races and hula hoop contests in this airy space.
A Westin Kierland teaser: Get amped for a standout event unique to any resort anywhere in the nation. The popularity of flowboarding is sweeping the globe. Teams from Europe to Japan to Australia compete for the top title. This October 12 and 13, get your chance to see the pros doing tricks and competing in the Flow World Tour right here at the Westin Keirland’s FlowRider. Marketing Director, Seth Garard and coordinator, Taren Buffington, were visibly thrilled about what’s about to unfold. There are no gnarly surf conditions or ‘men in grey suits’ (aka sharks) here. Just pure bliss. Stay tuned for details.
What food trucks have you in food heaven? Comment or tweet us @AzFoothillaMag!
Follow Ann-Marie on Twitter @Annmarieiswrite