Following the State of California’s recent lift of regional stay-at-home orders, Love Catalina, the official Catalina Island Tourism Authority, has announced it is once again welcoming leisure travelers.
A recovery plan is underway in partnership with local businesses, retail shops, activities, and restaurants now open for in-person visitation and outdoor dining.
Effective as of January 29, 2021, the updated Los Angeles County Public Health orders allow the additional businesses to reopen with updated protocols. Social distancing and face covering guidelines remain in place at all establishments on the island.
- Transportation: Catalina Express is operating daily passenger ferry service from Long Beach to Avalon; weekend service from Dana Point to Avalon; and weekend service from San Pedro to both Two Harbors and Avalon.
Due to the vessels operating at reduced capacity for social distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations early to ensure a seat.
The Catalina Flyer from Newport Beach will resume service on February 26, 2021. IEX Helicopters is operating with on-demand daily flights to the island, seven days a week from multiple Southern California locations.
While on the island, Catalina Island Conservancy is resuming limited services of the Wildlands Express shuttle, offering transportation to and from the Trailhead visitor’s center in Avalon to the world-famous Airport in the Sky and Catalina’s backcountry tails.
Visitors can view the shuttle schedule and make reservations here. Face masks are required by passengers at all times while waiting to board and while on vessels.
- Accommodations: Hotels and vacation rentals are open for leisure travel bookings. A list of open accommodations can be found online here. Campgrounds and camping services are scheduled to fully reopen on February 12, 2021.
- Restaurants: Outdoor dining guidelines have made it possible for many restaurants to reopen. Protocols for outdoor dining also allow some restaurants to set up tables directly on the beach. A list of all open restaurants can be found online here.
- Retail, Services and Activities: Most services and retail shops are open, along with many recreational activities; a list can be found online here.
To accommodate smaller group sizes and social distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations in advance and verify activities or status directly with the business prior to booking.
The health and well-being of our residents and all visitors is the top priority right now, and businesses on the island have done an incredible job of implementing appropriate safety protocols.
The ability to safely welcome leisure travelers back and resume overnight accommodations, outdoor tours, activities, dining and more, is not only a promising sign for the future of travel, but will also be a vital lifeline for saving so many of the businesses and jobs on our small island that relies on tourism.
Being open for Spring Break is wonderful.
– Love Catalina President and CEO Jim Luttjohann
For more information about Catalina Island, please visit www.lovecatalina.com.
Follow along on Facebook @LoveCatalinaIsland, Instagram @LoveCatalinaIsland and Twitter @LoveCatalina_.
Travelers are encouraged to share their memories and experiences via social media using the hashtag #LoveCatalina.