The people have spoken what we’ve known all along. Our beautiful Grand Canyon is one of the best places in the world to watch a sunset.
Eyewear specialists Lensbest have released The Sunset Index, a data-driven study revealing the best places on earth to catch the golden hour in action. Since an awesome sunset can be subjective, the study surveyed globetrotting travel journalists from 46 countries around the world. Each respondent was asked to give their opinion on a few factors:
- The best spot to view a sunset in their home country
- The best spot to view a sunset in countries they’ve visited
- Which season of the year they think is best to watch a sunset in that spot
The results produced more than 600 nominated global locations which were compiled and refined using a score-based system to determine the 100 best places to watch a sunset.
The unique findings revealed the Grand Canyon as the second most nominated place to watch the sunset, sandwiched between Santorini and Mykonos, Greece. The U.S. was the most commonly nominated country worldwide with the UK and Italy coming in second. And of all the seasons, summer was the most recommended season to view a sunset with 46-percent of respondents choosing it, followed by autumn, spring and finally winter. Check out the top 10 places below.
- Santorini, Greece – Summer
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona – Summer
- Mykonos, Greece – Spring/Summer
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India – Spring
- Madeira, Portugal – Spring
- Uluru, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia – Autumn
- St. Pete Beach, Florida – Spring
- Massai Mara National Reserve, Kenya – Summer
- Phi Phi, Thailand – Summer
- Tahiti, French Polynesia – Summer/Winter
Click here to view the full results on The Sunset Index.