What to Wear to Barrett-Jackson

Marlene January 14, 2009 15

One of the cooler things about living in the Valley is all the awesome events we have right after the New Year. There’s all the car auctions (Barrett-Jackson, Russo and Steele); the Fiesta Bowl; The FBR Phoenix Open, and the best part is the weather is absolutely spectacular.

What I never get, however, is why it’s also the time of year, or the events per say, that have women gallivanting about in outfits that clearly show they have A.) No idea where they are at and B.) Clearly do not belong there.

I live and breathe fashion, this is as true as the sky is blue but that doesn’t mean stiletto’s and little black dresses should ever be worn on the green. (That’s the grass ladies.)

So since the Fleur’t Barrett-Jackson fashion show was last night and the Gala the evening before, unless you’re partying at the Stone Rose Lounge at the Garage this weekend, you should not be looking like this:

paris

So here, a few tips on looking cute and event appropriate. That’s right, you can look superchic, stylish and event appropriate without being so wrecktastic.

RIDING BOOTS

There is dirt EVERYWHERE.  I mean everywhere. Dirt and gravel and lots of rocks. So do not take this with a grain of salt when I say leave the Louboutins at home. That doesn’t mean you have to wear sneakers, God knows my only pair is reserved for the gym. Instead, try a pair of flat riding boots like this Marc by Marc Jacobs pair below. Wear it with a skinny jean or casual dress as shown.

splendid-jersey-v-neck

SHORTS

On the off-chance it’s not too chilly, opt for some spring shorts. These Bamford city shorts are a great length and comfy too.

splendid-shorts

CASUAL DRESS

Yup, I still say you can sport a casual dress. The flat boots and tights soften up the look and again, leave the heels behind.

splendid-cotton-cardigan

WEDGES

If you absolutely positively must wear heels, go for a wedge and pair with denim like this look below.

wedges

FLATS

Whether with jeans, pants or a casual dress, a nice pair of black flats are a definite “Do.”

see-by-chloe-cardigan

Whatever you wear, don’t forget a Cardigan! It’s breezy outside and the a/c’s running inside so you’ll definitely not want to leave home without it.

Enjoy the events!

15 Comments »

1. Deb January 14, 2009 at 9:36 am -

In supporting my husband’s love of golf, I will spend the weekend at the FBR open. I only hope it does not rain. I am more of a casual gal; jeans are my thing but love, love, love to accessorize. I love the look of jeans with wedges. So cute and prefect for the event. Thanks Marlene, you always have great advice.

2. ang January 14, 2009 at 9:40 am -

HA! I made a big mistake of wearing heels–not even very high heels–to FBR a few years ago. Bad news bears. They got very dirty and spiked holes in the ground with every step.

3. Tiana McFarlane January 14, 2009 at 10:19 am -

This is actually really good advice. i wish more of the gals at the Birds Nest woudl read this!

4. jo January 14, 2009 at 10:36 am -

LOVE flat boots (especially the chinese laundry ones you blogged about before Christmas) – - perfect for events when you are going to be on your feet……

5. ashley January 14, 2009 at 10:38 am -

NOTE TO SELF – don’t wear uncomfortable shoes to any barrett-jackson event… you have to walk SO FAR just to get through to the events and then all the way back afterwards

6. Casey January 14, 2009 at 10:41 am -

Great advice on how to look cute/practical for these boring events :)

7. Ashley January 14, 2009 at 10:43 am -

Ha, same here ang. I never know what to wear at the FBR open and I always look out of place lol.

8. Nikki January 14, 2009 at 11:12 am -

Thank you for being the voice of reason for this event season. All too often do we see women at the FBR dressed like the Paris Hilton pic above. Follow these instructions people!

As a side note- I really like the idea of sporting some riding boots to the tournament, they’ll keep your toes toasty and prevent you from slipping down those stadium mounds at TPC.

9. Emma January 14, 2009 at 11:28 am -

I’m so happy you posted this! I’m going this weekend with the bf and I was curious what i should wear…good tips:)

10. VG January 14, 2009 at 1:11 pm -

I think it’s really funny when girls go to the FBR Open all decked out… it’s a golf tournament people!

11. Talia January 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm -

If I can’t wear heals, I’m not going!

12. Marla January 14, 2009 at 4:10 pm -

Oh I love all these looks, it’s so helpful! PS In a future post I’d love to see more examples of wedges that are in for spring. Thanks Marlene!

13. Melissa January 16, 2009 at 11:41 am -

Sorry, was that Louboutin commented pointed in my general direction or am I just paranoid!? We totally rock the tottering in the dirt look. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it..

14. Marli January 16, 2009 at 3:26 pm -

I agree!! you dont need to get all decked out for a Golf Open!! I can’t wait to see all of the ladies that dont understand that!! viva la people watch!

15. chrisie January 22, 2009 at 8:17 pm -

i vote for the flats – cute and comfy

Leave A Response »