The new LX 570 is a big, luxurious SUV. It may be struggling to find its fit in this modern age of paved roads and tight Starbucks drive-throughs, but it still has plenty of endearing qualities you’re sure to fall hard for. Here for 2017 is a list of our top 10 favorite aspects. In no particular order.
1. As intended for the off-road environment as the big LX 570 has always been, when commuting around town on smooth pavement, the LX delivers a surprisingly confident, comfortable ride. This is partially thanks to well developed drive modes, independent front suspension and extremely comfortable front seats.
2. The new LX 570 boasts vast off-road capabilities. It may be a well behaved Lexus on the road, but off it, there is very little on the market that can go toe to toe. With features like crawl control with turn assist, ABS and braking assist, vehicle height adjust, hill start assist, many off-road drive modes and more, all as standard equipment, there’s little around the next craggy bend that can stand in your way.
3. An optional rear seat entertainment package with DVD player and headrest mounted monitors is perfect for entertaining any rearward passenger. You can even serve drinks cold from the cool box located between the driver and passenger seats.
4. The Lexus LX 570 remains one of the few full sized luxury SUV’s available with seating for up to eight people. An important point to remember though is that the three individuals in the far back better be on the compact side or they’ll be in for a tight, uncomfortable ride.
5. A powerful 5.7L V8 engine producing over 400 lb-ft of torque and capable of towing up to 7,000 pounds.
6. A long list of standard equipment, including: a navigation package, rearview camera, power retractable 50/50 split-folding third row seats and power sliding 40/20/40 second row seats, a diverse selection of drive modes, blind spot monitoring, LED headlights, front and rear parking sensors and more.
7. Overall impressive list of standard safety features, like countless airbags, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, pedestrian detection with automatic emergency braking, intelligent high beams, pre-collision and forward collision warning, etc.
8. Rugged good looks. The new LX 570 is like a well groomed lumberjack, wearing his best flannel and toting a finely polished axe. With stylishly shaped LED headlights and tail lamps, heavily tinted side windows, plenty of chrome accents, a useful roof rack, that familiar hour-glass shaped, metal finished grille with chrome surround, plenty of ground clearance and 20” wheels, it’s clear from the powerful first impression the LX 570 makes, and every impression after, that this is a vehicle designed to work hard and always look good in the process.
9. The 2017 LX 570 accomplishes an impressive balancing act, combining a high level of comfort and luxury, all while maintaining its capable off-road prowess. The refined cabin is chalk full of genuine leather and wood trim, smart lighting, chrome and metal accents, power everything and a valet mode even. All this and more, without ever compromising the most fundamental DNA code of ruggedness to be found when everything else is stripped away. After all, the incredible Toyota Land Cruiser acted as the early building blocks for the Lexus LX.
10. Exclusivity rounds out the list. Like the GX, the 2017 LX 570 is aimed at a very specific type of consumer. This, combined with a high price tag of over $90,000, and unlike owning the hugely popular RX 350, you’re sure to be the only LX owner in the school pick-up line or Whole Foods parking lot.
While the Lexus LX 570 might have a lot of positive character traits, with only 15 miles per gallon combined, a third row only suitable for small children, and a measly 15.5 cubic feet of cargo space when that rearward most row is in use, there’s still several improvements that can be made.
By: Brandon Randall