As we continue our coverage of the Fall 2013 collections showing at New York Fashion Week I must share another hilarious set of meme-like observations about le chic semaine. This time, Buzzfeed gives us the “21 Things That Always Happen At Fashion Week”… Mind you this was written on February 6th, the day prior to Day 1. I’m sharing the ones that have come to pass, but you can check out the rest here.
• People will show up to a place in crop tops and no tights in 30-degree weather (I think Coco Rocha wins this category at least according to her Instagram).
• Someone will show up somewhere wearing jeans and a turtleneck and feel like a homeless person.
• People will brag about the wildly exclusive shows they got invited to (FYI plenty of shows were selling and giving away tickets this year).
• No one will be able to recognize “celebrities” sitting in a front row (so, so true).
• Publicists will mail editors “fashion week survival kits” (or we will write about them).
• Anna Dello Russo will wear funny hats.
• Shoes will look like torture chambers.
• The weather will do something that is definitely not “outfit friendly.”
• But no matter what happens with the weather—rain, sleet, tsunami, etc.—Anna Wintour will show up everywhere on time, bone-dry.
• Random audience members will wear sunglasses inside for no reason.
• You Instagram feed will be flooded with fashion-blogger selfies.
Last night I watched the much anticipated (especially since it got postponed) Marc by Marc Jacobs show. Before I started drooling over the clothes, I first had to get over my excitement about the big, frizzy, curly hair… I’m determined to figure out how to do that to my own locks and face the world with my new Marc do.
The clothes were equally enjoyable—little black dresses, tailored suits, and prim and proper skirts. The prints are fun and offered some daring color clashing. The overall color palette played with red, blue, and purple hues.
I know that in this day and age open letters are more of a negative effort than a positive one, but I would love to write one to Reem Acra… It would go a little something like this.
Dear Ms. Acra,
Thank you, oh so much, for your Fall 2013 Ready-To-Wear collection. I love it all really, but I especially appreciated how you took the leather trend to another level with trousers, and shirts, and skirts, and amazing dresses. Of course, I cannot forget to mention the wrap coats—gorgeous! And the gowns, well, they are just sensational and I can’t wait to see what lucky lady gets to wear them.
By Kristianne Young
Runway photos: style.com