Our March issue of Arizona Foothills is all about our favorite homes, (see some homes from the issue at www.arizonafoothillsmagazine.com/Living/Homes) but of course there are just not enough pages to include all the homes we love.
Here is a house I just love, at Superstition Mountain Golf and Country Club. The 6,600-sq.-ft. home is the primary residence of Mel and Peggy Babcock who moved to the community from Ohio. The home has three bedrooms, six baths, his-and-hers offices, a library with built-in bookshelves and a built-in game/jigsaw puzzle table and an oversized four-car garage. There is 11,000 square feet under roof.
Carol Buto Designs of Scottsdale created the interiors that feature natural materials like Mexican saltillo tiles inset with hand painted accent tiles replicating the Malibu tiles produced in California in the 1930s and ’40s, noce stone, tumbled travertines and marbles and honed granite. Artwork collected by the Babcocks during their extensive travels are incorporated into the design. Highlights include:
– Four 2,000-pound ceiling beams in the elegant living room with a dramatic view window of the Superstition Mountain range
– Massive carved cantera stone fireplace flanked by classically carved built-in shelves, also in the living room
– Expansive kitchen/great room creating an integrated space for entertaining large groups or intimate gatherings
– Alder wood table in the dining room with an inlay design, 84 inches in diameter
– Master bath with a large stone shower and 18-foot ceiling
– Powder room featuring walls of Venetian plaster and 36-inch-high wainscoting of Talavera tile, and granite and hammered copper sink and face
– Outdoor observation deck for stargazing as well as golf course, mountain and city light views
For more info on home like this that might be on the market in Superstition Mountain visit www.superstitionmountain.com.
Superstition Mountain Golf and Country Club is a 927-acre private community, located near Gold Canyon in Superstition Mountain, Ariz.