Planning and prepping your meals plays a huge role in your nutritional success. You can have the best intentions but to be successful you need to set yourself up for success first. Meal prepping and planning is the best way to do that. Notice, I also say planning not just prepping. Most people think it doesn’t count unless you spend your entire Sunday night cooking all your meals for the week and have stacks of Tupperware in your fridge. Not true! Sometimes it is as simple as writing down your meals for the week or taking time to chop up some veggies. Below are a few of my favorite meal prepping and planning tips. If you are a meal prep beginner start at the top and eventually work your way down slowly adding in another step each week.
1. Write down your meals for the week. This will take out some of the guess-work when it comes to meal time.
2. Grocery Shop for the week and only buy what you planned for. This will keep your meals fresh, keep you sticking to your plan and avoid wasting food.
3. Set aside a time that is just for planning, prepping and cooking. Maybe this is 15 minutes in the morning or a few hours on a Sunday.
4. Cook the things that take the most time in advance and in bulk. For example: Rice, Quinoa, Meats, Beans etc.
5. Pre portion snack bags with your favorite heathy snacks. This will save you time and help you avoid making an unhealthy choice when you are in a time crunch. Think pre cut veggies, nuts, fruit etc.
Stay tuned for more specific meal prep ideas to help you stay on track and stick to your health goals.
Madison Murray is a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor, certified sports and exercise nutrition coach and a certified functional strength coach. For more information visit www.madfitaz.com or check her out on instagram at @mmmadisonmurray