You lose water when you breathe, sweat, and use the restroom. You lose even more if you live in a hot climate…so this topic seemed pretty fitting for us Phoenicians. It is crucial to make sure you are drinking enough water to replenish everything you lose throughout the day. Not only is this a good topic because its hotter than Hades outside but also, my amazing gym Scottsdale BODI is doing a gallon challenge and it gave me some inspiration. Now, the amount of water each individual needs will vary. It will depend on your height, weight and activity level. If you aren’t sure how much you need a good place to start is with a gallon. Drinking a gallon of water a day is not easy but it is totally doable and worth it! Some of the benefits of drinking water include:
• Increase in energy and less fatigue
• Helps promote weight loss
• Flushes out toxins
• Better skin and complexion
• Boosts immune system
• Reduces cramping in muscles
- Like I mentioned before, it’s not always easy to drink a gallon a day. This is one of my biggest struggles but I know how important it is so I make it work. Some things that help me drink water are:
- The drink water app: The app is literally called “Drink water app” it was free in the apple store. It calculates how much water you need to drink and sends you notifications throughout the day when its time to drink water. The subtle reminder is exactly what I need during my busy days.
- Throwing in a sparkling water or two: I don’t recommend only drinking sparkling water but one or two in a day is fine. This will give you a little change of pace by adding in the flavor and bubbles. My favorite brand is La Croix. Just make sure that whatever sparkling water you drink is sodium free.
- Drinking from a cup with a straw: This helps me drink more water in a shorter amount of time. Not sure why, but it works!
- Flavored/Infused water: Like I said before, sometimes you just need a change of pace. You can use different water flavoring like Mio or crystal light. Another, even better option, is infusing your water. One of my favorites is Mint, Lime and cucumber infused water (Pictured). This keeps it interesting and keeps me wanting more.
- Labeling a gallon jug with time intervals: All you need is a gallon jug and a sharpie. Make a mark for each hour of the day. This will make it so you know how much you need to drink by a certain time each day to get your gallon in.
Try these out and let me know your favorites!
Madison Murray is a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor, certified sports and exercise nutrition coach and a certified function strength coach. For more information head to www.madfitaz.com or check her out on instagram at @mmmadisonmurray