Loving local stylist, Ashley LaRae. She’s finessed the wardrobes of music legends like Kanye West and Jay-Z. When asked what’s the biggest mistake someone can make via fashion, LaRae replied with “People make the mistake of purchasing/wearing ill-fitting clothes. Whether they’re trying to squeeze into something too small or hide under something too big, they’re cutting themselves short. If it’s not flattering, it shouldn’t be worn.” I speak with the stylist to collect her thoughts on fashion and style.
Describe your style.
They call me the Queen of Accessories. My articles of clothing tend to be simplistic and sleek, deep color palettes, and easy to wear. However, I add glamour with statement pieces of jewelry. I love watches, big earrings, long necklaces, and the highest of heels.
If you had to wear one item of clothing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I’m confident I could wear sky-high stilettos until my knees fall off and my ankles break down...I plan to be the little old lady still rockin’ my beautiful shoes.
If you could steal one person's wardrobe, who's would it be?
If I could steal Victoria Beckham’s wardrobe, I’d be in heaven. Her style is classic of a fashionista business-woman. Perfectly fitting, smooth and sleek, high heels, pencil skirts...and her casual look is just as fashionable. Even her jeans and T-shirts can look stylish with the right additions.
What is the crown jewel of your closet?
The crown jewel of my closet is my mother’s sheer, floral mini dress from the early 90s. I used to try it on as a child and kept it for myself as I grew older...and FINALLY, it’s back in style!
If any, what advice would you give to others about fashion?
Find what makes you tick. Everyone has something they love about themselves or their personalities, and translating that into their wardrobe can make fashion a unique and exciting experience. In other words, find who you are and be yourself...what works in life translates into fashion.
What article of clothing are you lusting for at the moment?
I have yet to find the perfect loose-fitting yet stylish white button up, collared shirt for summer.
What are six items of clothing no one should be without?
1. Perfectly fitting pair of dark wash jeans (darker washes always have a more professional look and typically look good with most other colors).
2. “Night on the town” dress (some call this a little black dress, but I’m convinced it doesn’t have to be black...just the dress you feel comfortable slipping into for that perfect date or night out. Great fit, flattering color)
3. Cinch belt. Whether you have a waist to show off or not, a belt can flatter any female body, cinching around the smallest part your waist and adding an easy stylish flare for your day’s outfit.
4. Heels. High or low, whichever you choose, even a short heel can add a little oomph to your booty and elongate your legs.
5. Blazer. Cropped or boy-cut...either way, a blazer can be the perfect addition to pull an outfit together. It can be worn as a jacket or under a heavier coat, and whichever one will spice up your look.
6. Scarf. Summer or winter, a scarf can be worn throughout the year. Made in lighter fabrics for summer/spring and heavier fabrics for fall/winter, a scarf can make an outfit pop with a vibrant color/pattern or even bring some sophistication with darker palettes/stylish patterns.
What trend do you love at the current moment?
This seems so simple, but I love the loose-fitting tee shirt/tank top style. It’s a nice change from all the tight tops we’ve been wearing for so long...more comfort, more ease, yet still many cute options! I can’t pull it off everyday, but it’s nice to have the option on occasion.
Must have beauty product?
Mascara...I’m constantly running around and always running out of time so when I don’t have time to put on a full face of makeup, my Covergirl LashBlast mascara still makes my eyes pop and give my lashes a bit of glamour.
Favorite local boutique, shop, store?
My favorite local boutique is by far Pink House Boutique in Old Town Glendale. They sell stylish clothes for an affordable price (who doesn’t want THAT?!). From heels and skirts to jeans and sunglasses, they have everything I need for a price I’m HAPPY to pay.
Who are some of your more famous clients you've styled?
I spent the first few years of my career touring with musicians such as Jay-Z and Kanye West (yes, I have story after story that could keep you entertained from being “on the road”!)